Inside-out Processing of Chemical Vapor Deposition
Using the layering capability inherent to chemical vapor deposition (CVD), Ultramet developed inside-out processing to facilitate the fabrication of complex functionally graded material systems.
Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) Process
- Fabricate mandrel that conforms to inner dimensions of final component.
- Deposit desired material(s).
- Remove mandrel to yield final part.
Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) Advantages
- Can deposit several materials to form a composite or lined structure
- Can fabricate components with intricate inner geometries
- Yields net-shape parts, requiring little or no postprocess machining